How To Clean Aquarium Rocks
- How To Clean Aquarium Rocks
- Tutorial to clean the stones of a fish tank
Owning a fish tank is very common nowadays. Children enjoy watching colorful fishes and lovely decorations present in the fish tanks. Some people say that the presence of an aquarium at home can help remove negative energies surrounding the house. Especially if you’re a busy men, owning an aquarium will really help your mind at ease and calms your soul.
Unfortunately, there is also an attached responsibility in owning a fish tank. Fish tank contains not only fishes but also certain decorations like plants, sand, gravel and also rocks. Rocks are the usual aquarium decoration that easily gets penetrated by fungus. Anyone who owns an aquarium would really desire to maintain flawless rock inside it. Cleaning an aquarium rock only takes a little effort and knowledge.
The things that you need are bleach and toothbrush. Here are the steps in cleaning an aquarium rock:
- Firstly, remove any electrical connections inside the aquarium. Remove any other fish tank decorations so that you can easily pick up the rocks.
- Maintain cleanliness in your aquarium by changing the dirty water regularly for at least once a month or when the water has started to look dull. Dirty water can promote entry of fungus and algae. An alga usually sticks to the aquarium rocks and some other aquarium decoration. This is the main reason why your rocks are slippery with unusual color.
- Rocks, artificial corals and some other decorations are porous materials. Remove each fish tank decoration and place it in a container one by one.
- The best way to clean the aquarium rock is with the use of mild bleach. Get a large basin or a large bowl and add enough water. Add at least ½ cup bleach powder and mix thoroughly. Place the rocks including the other accessories like artificial coral and others. Let it soak for at least an hour and observe the dirt being gradually removed by the bleach powder.
- With the use of a soft bristle toothbrush, scrub the rocks accordingly to further remove any stuck dirt.
- If the rocks are not slippery anymore, rinse off with running water. Remember to wash the rocks several times to ensure that the solution is completely removed.
- Allow the aquarium rocks to completely dry for several hours. You can also place it under the heat of the sun for few days. When it has dried already, you can place it back to your fish tank and decorate accordingly.
Another simple way in cleaning aquarium rocks is to use a dishwasher. This method saves more time as you can easily get finished with a single cycle but it is not the most preferred way because it cannot thoroughly remove any dirt particles that are present on the rocks. Furthermore, allowing the rocks to dry under the sun can naturally kill bacteria or fungus. However, the disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time. Sun’s exposure is only ideal if you have an alternative aquarium rocks because sun exposure may still last for few days.
Video: How to Quickly Wash Aquarium Pea Gravel – Tank Tip
Tutorial to clean the stones of a fish tank
In order for the fish in our fish tank to be healthy, it is essential to not only keep our fish tank clean, but also keep it clean, as this will help to create a safe environment where the fish can swim and develop in healthy conditions. One of the most important things that tends to be left aside when cleaning the fish tank is to clean its stones because the de, waste and food that fall, tend to be accumulated in the base on these stones. It is because of this importance of keeping these stones clean to ensure a healthy environment, this time we tell you how to clean the stones in the tank.
What is recommended in terms of frequency for this cleaning is to do it every two weeks, as it will help your fish to live in a super healthy environment, which is synonymous with good health in fish.
How to do a correct cleaning of stones in a fish tank?
To make a correct cleaning of the stones of a fish tank, we must follow a series of steps. Below we leave you with the same clear details.
The first step is to move the fish from the aquarium to another alternative container in order to clean the aquarium in a comfortable and quiet manner. It is best to draw a little water from the tank, in which the fish are used to it and place it in a container, which can be a bucket quietly. With the help of a net, we gently remove the fish from the aquarium to the alternative container of our choice, where we leave them only for a short time until the cleaning process is complete.
Drain some water and start cleaning.
The second step is to drain almost half of the water in the aquarium and start moving the plastic gravel cleaner up and down the tank to generate suction, which is what will allow us to carry the water through the hose to the bucket.
How to remove the remains?
The third step is to attach the hose to the plastic cleaner and after doing this, we start moving it around the aquarium so that we can suck only small amounts of gravel into the cleaner. The next step is to remove the debris, for this we have to shake the instrument strongly up and down in the water. This, at the same time, will help us to loosen some waste that could have accumulated between the rocks of the aquarium.
In this fourth step what we must do is to check the stones in order to detect if there is algae accumulation in them. If they are found in significant quantities, what we should do is take a portion of these stones, along with the larger stones present in the aquarium and place them in a container where they will be soaked in a solution that has for every nine parts of water, one bleach. It is important not to use soaps or detergents, as these could leave toxic substances or that there may be traces of these products that are bad for the health of our fish.
The last step is to remove the stones that we had left to soak with this solution. These must be put back inside the aquarium, together with all the accessories that we take out of it to make a correct cleaning. It is important that before returning all these accessories to the tank, we make sure that everyone is properly clean.
Video: How to clean the rocks in your aquarium