Efflorescence comes in white appearance and resembles a powdery scum that appears on brick walls after a construction. The color may also vary from yellow to brown green which depends on the type of salt build ups. Brick efflorescence has caused huge problems on masonry. Proper brick cleaning is important to maintain the appealing structure of your brick wall.
The things that you will need are bucket, warm water, bottle spray, scrub brush or stiff bristle brush, old towel, plastic sheet, rubber gloves and muriatic acid.
Here are the important instructions in cleaning efflorescence from brick walls:
- For fresh efflorescence build up, pour warm water into an empty bottle spray.
- Spray the contaminate brick pavers with warm water.
- Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub the soiled surface. You can also use a stiff bristled broom.
- Rinse the surface with warm water.
- Wipe the surface with an old towel or use a wet/dry vac.
- Repeat the following steps for several days until efflorescence will stop appearing.
- For old efflorescence build up, place a plastic sheet on the area near your ornamental plants to protect the plants from hard cleaning agent.
- Put on your rubber gloves if you’re using muriatic acid.
- Get a bucket and fill in with 10 parts of warm water. Add 1 part of muriatic acid into your bucket and mix.
- Spray the brick wall with warm water.
- Pour your acid solution into the soiled area. Let the acid solution sit for few minutes to loosen up hard efflorescence.
- Scrub the bricks with a firm brush. Dip the brush into your acid solution and repeat scrubbing the soiled area.
- Rinse the bricks with warm water. Make sure to rinse it properly to remove acid residue as this can be very harmful.
- Sprinkle few amounts of baking soda onto the brick pavers.
- Scrub the baking soda onto the brick wall with a scrub brush or a stiff bristle brush.
- Rinse the surface with water.
- Wipe the area with an old towel and use a wet/dry vacuum in removing water residue.
- Repeat the whole process at least once a week to totally eliminate efflorescence from reappearing.
You can also purchase a sealer in any local stores to prevent efflorescence from reappearing. Be extra careful in using muriatic acid as this can be very harmful once it gets direct contact into your skin.
VIDEO: Efflorescence From Brick How To Clean