Exterior windows may appear clean but when sunshine hits on its surface, you get the true appearance of your windows. Dirt, finger print and smudge on your windows can be very obvious. Exterior window cleaning can be a challenging task for many. However, with proper knowledge and cleaning techniques, your cleaning task will definitely be simplified.
The things that you will need are rubber gloves (not mandatory), small bucket, white vinegar, warm water, alcohol, glass polisher, soft cotton cloth and towel.
Here are the steps in cleaning exterior windows:
- Put on rubber gloves if you desire.
- Get a small bucket for your cleaning agent.
- Mix in ¼ cup of white vinegar and 3 cups of war water into the bucket and stir. You can also use commercial glass cleaner if you have.
- Get a soft cotton cloth and dip it into your small bucket with vinegar solution. Squeeze out excess water into the bucket and wipe the entire surface of your exterior window. It is best to use horizontal strokes in cleaning exterior windows to avoid water dripping on the floor. For stubborn dirt particles, use a mixture of alcohol and warm water. Alcohol also works best as it easily evaporates into the air.
- After scrubbing the area, wipe it with a dry soft cloth. If there are still dirt on the surface, repeat the steps mentioned above until there is no more visible dirt.
- Get your squeegee and wipe its rubber strip using a soft cotton cloth. Press the squeegee firmly on downward manner and start cleaning in a dry area.
- Maintain a dry squeegee blade by wiping it with a dry cloth after each application.
- Allow the exterior windows to completely dry by wiping it with an old towel. You can also apply a window polisher to keep your windows shiny and clear.
- After making sure that your windows are completely clean, vacuum the sills and window frame.
- Get a soft cloth and moisten it with rubbing alcohol and water. Scrub the window sill to remove smudges and spots on the surface.
- Wipe the sill with a dry towel and allow the windows to completely dry.
You can also use your garden hose in cleaning exterior windows. Water pressure can easily remove debris and grime on the surface of your window glass. Avoid using hard cleaning solution as this can make your windows dry and dull.
VIDEO: Exterior Windows How To Clean