Permits and licensesStores

Business Licensing for Retail Companies and Online Stores – Retail Businesses & Online Stores

When opening a business, it is important to know about licensing for retail companies and online stores, as each type of business requires a different license and even each state has different regulations.

Which license for retail companies and online stores I need

There is a license type for retail companies and online stores that are essential regardless of the type of business you open and the state where the business operates, for example:


EIN is the employer’s identification number that must be obtained for your business entity to be identified since it is also known as a tax identification number and is required for all types of retail business.

It’s actually a very simple procedure, as it can be managed in just a few minutes online on the official IRS. gov site.

If you open an online store in a city to sell a product as a retailer, you should request the employer identification number and state tax identification number from your state’s tax collection agency.

Business license:

This is another type of license that can be used to open a commercial entity since your business must be registered in the corresponding office according to the state where your business operates.

Therefore depending on the state, you should find out the requirements on the official site of for example On the official site, you will receive help to register your business with the requirements that must meet.

Local business license:

This type of license should be purchased at a rate that depends on the city where your business operates and its type. You will receive information from the official site of the city or county clerk’s office, e. g.


The DBA is the registration of your business’s trade name because if you decide that its name will be a fictitious one, you must register it and obtain a DBA because your business will operate with that fictitious name.

However, you should check the laws of your state to see if it is mandatory since depending on the structure it may be mandatory or not to manage the DBA.

Resale Certificate: As a retail business you will need to buy products and then sell them, but to avoid paying sales tax you must manage the resale certificate, but it is always convenient to consult your state’s regulations.

Professional License: Depending on the type of retail business you plan to open, you may need a professional license, so look for information about your need in your state’s licensing department or trade association of the type of industry you will operate.

Certificate of Occupancy: In some cities or counties you may be required to have a certificate of occupancy, for which you must allow facilities to be inspected by appropriate personnel, as it may require inspection by the fire department or if you plan to sell food, the facility will require inspection by the health department.

If you rent a property or purchase it and want to refurbish it, you will need an inspection by the city planning department.

Licensing and licensing for retail companies and online stores

In addition to licensing for retail companies and online stores, you may need to manage permissions, which will depend on the laws of the state where your business operates, for example:

Zoning permit:

Before opening the business, it is advisable that you obtain the zoning permit and present all the required documents since when you obtain them you will be sure that your type of business is allowed to operate in the area you have chosen.


It is convenient that as soon as you decide to open your business, you start researching the permits and licenses that are part of the state regulations, as you can rest assured that your business will not be closed or fined for breaking the law.

Once you’ve collected all the information, start collecting the documentation you need to submit as soon as possible because you’re sure to encounter delays and other administrative issues that will delay the process.

Please note that online retailers are regulated by local and government authorities, which may apply for other types of licenses, such as tobacco, food and pet sales, which require additional licenses.


Hispanic entrepreneur with a degree in business administration and experience working in the United States. My passion for business and entrepreneurship led me to launch my own blog where I share information and resources to help other Hispanic entrepreneurs achieve success in their businesses.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button